SERVICE LEARNING AT WRIGHT CAN TAKE YOU ANYWHERE!
- Learn valuable skills for your résumé
- Meet helpful contacts in organizations around Chicago and even around the world
- Help make the world a better place
Partners that Wright College students work with include:
- The U.S. Department of State — As part of Diplomacy Lab, students collaborate with Embassy and Consulate officials around the world to provide research for the Department’s work.
- Wonder Works Museum in Oak Park — Students work with children and Museum officials, allowing students to put into immediate use what they are learning about children’s cognitive development.
- Various forest preserves and nature centers — Students work alongside Biology Professor Leslie restoring various ecological sites.
- Logan Square Neighborhood Association — Students work with the Association on issues of immigration, housing and health.
- And there are many other possibilities!
Service learning courses (those designated with a “6”):
- Will engage you with real world problems
- Allow you to learn more about your community
- Enable you to learn actively, not just through lecture or in class
- Foster relationships with fellow students, faculty and outside professionals
- Help develop career-related skills, such as working as a member of a team, communicating effectively and solving problems
Here is what students have said about their service learning experiences:
“I was very excited to learn that everything that I was being taught and learned in theory could be implemented in the real world.”
“I appreciate the opportunity that was presented by the service learning project. Classrooms teach a lot but hands on experiences are the best teachers and I wouldn’t trade my experience because of the many wonderful people I met.”
“The service helped me to understand better what I want to study. Service learning hours also help you to see if that is what you want to study.”
Wright College offers numerous service learning classes in a variety of disciplines.
For more information regarding service learning, contact:
Service Learning Coordinator